Chattanooga High School

    Chattanooga High School was founded in the fall of 1874. An ordinance had been passed on July 18, 1872, creating a graded public school system. H. Clay Evans promoted the establishment of a school system and a board of education was organized with two "commissioners" from each of five wards. They were S. B. Moe and Dr. E. H. Price, first ward; J. F. Loomis and Willard Abbot, second ward; W. D. Van Dyke and Dr. E. M. Wight, fourth ward; and R. M. Tankesley and T. A. Hurt, fifth ward. At a fall meeting H. D. Wyatt was elected superintendent and served in that capacity until 1892 when A. T. Barrett succeeded him.

    On January 1, 1873, the first white public graded school opened on Georgia Avenue near 9th street with Professor J. A. Aycock as principal. In the fall of that same year the Panic Depression of 1873 struck and the fledgling school system found itself without funds or credit until the individual members of the board, led by acting treasurer W. D. Van Dyke, jointly signed a $1,000 note pledging their individual credit to save the system.
At this time there was no high school. Because of his great interest in education, Professor H. D. Wyatt was teaching a few boys informally in his office. When the decision was made to establish a high school, Professor Wyatt was serving the school system as its first superintendent.
Professor Wyatt planned the City School System. At first there were five schools: the first district, on the East side of town which had a principal and three assistant teachers; the second district on the West side with a principal and two teachers, which was also to include a high school; the third district with a principal and two teachers on the South side. In addition to these there was a union primary school with one teacher. There was also the Howard School for colored children with a principal and four teachers.
In December of 1873 the Board of Commissioners purchased the school in the Second District, known as "The Old Academy", from the Masonic Fraternity to accommodate a high school department. Chattanooga High School was organized on December 11, 1874 in two upstairs rooms of this building. The first high school faculty was Mr. W. D. Underhill and Miss Hattie Ackerman. The total enrollment for the first school year was 35.

Source: "History of Chattanooga High School by Elizabeth Kelley Wade 1974  

 



Masonic Building 
Gillespie & Early Streets 
1874 - 1891


"Old Academy" 
Gillespie & Early Streets
Used from 1891 - 1896



D. C. McMillian House
111 Gilmer (8th) Street 
1897 - 1904



Dickinson Building
413 E. 8th St. 
1905 - 1921



Wyatt Hall
East 3rd. & Riverside Dr.
1921 - 1937



Wyatt Hall - Added Wings
East 3rd. & Riverside Dr.
1937 - 1963

 

 



Chattanooga High School
1331 Dallas Rd. 1963



 

class_of_1887.jpg (53571 bytes)


Chattanooga High Class of 1887

Chattanooga High Class of 1896

Chattanooga High Class of 1902

Chattanooga High Basketball Team 1913

Chattanooga High Football Team 1906


Chattanooga High Football Team 1913


Chattanooga High Orchestra 1916

Henry D. Wyatt - Founder of Chattanooga High School

 

 

Chattanooga High School Graduates 1879 - 1900

Chattanooga School For Arts & Sciences
(Formerly Chattanooga High School)

 

Back to Schools

Copyright 2009 - Hamilton County Tennessee Genealogical Society