Harrison

Harrison, Tennessee is near the geographical center of Hamilton County. Located north of Chattanooga on Highway 58, it was the county seat until 1879 when the courthouse was moved to Chattanooga. The town of Harrison was located near the farm of "Rich Joseph Vann", and Indian Chief who made his home there in 1833 after being driven out of Georgia. He remained in Harrison until 1838 when he was forced west. In 1835 Joseph Vann owned 110 slaves and is reported to have been the largest slave owner to live in Hamilton County.

 

 

Back to Communities

Copyright 2009 - Hamilton County Tennessee Genealogical Society